Sunday 30 October 2016

MARY AND THE ARSONIST

For over an hour, I went round all the fashion stores in the shopping complex searching for that perfect sneakers, until... I found her.
Mary's store was stocked with the best foot wears I had seen lately and she was barely two weeks into the business. Though 38, but she looked so young and beautiful and could pass for a 25 year-old model. Her well rounded and protruded butt gave her that look of a vixen out of a Rick Ross music video.
"Model ke! this man you are so funny" she causally threw at me, blushing at my compliments. Perhaps I was too blunt but the shy smile that crept into her face like a teenager been wooed, roared at me that she was enjoying my little sweet dirty talk.
I could have bought more than one pair of sneakers but, hey; her stock were quite expensive.
Mary was among the casualties of the 'yello' telecom company's recent retrenchment. The only way out for her was to set up a business and she was lucky to have secured a bank loan to add up to her five-year savings before she started her fashion store, and by what I saw, it ran into several millions. Mary herself looked a million-dollar chick and before I realized, I had spent almost an hour with her, gisting and laughing. She was such an interesting lady and I had started tilting our conversation to 'that' usual area, then she...
"Oyibo Abeg, come and be going jor. Your wahala too much" she jokingly shoved me out of her shop as I noted a black sneakers I must return to buy before October 31st.
Yesterday, October, 28th I strolled back to pick up the black sneakers and possibly tease this cute newbie entrepreneur again. The thought of experiencing those her charming smile made my heart skip a thousand beat.
"Common John, you ain't lusting over Mary's ass" I told myself but hey, what she got behind could make a gay brother reconsider.
In front of the shopping complex, I saw hundreds of people, traders and passers-bye; some of the traders were wailing and the smoke was still billowing out of the building. The shopping complex caught fire the previous night and almost all the traders were counting their loses. My heart immediately went to Mary, the sexy young entrepreneur.
I walked into the complex to assess the damage, and as I approached her shop, she emerged from the ruins of her mutli-million naira store, still looking as sexy as the devil. She stood, wailing as our eyes interlocked; she recognized me but the tears kept gushing as she kept crying. Seeing this young beautiful woman cry so bitterly broke my heart as I stood rooted to the ground, unable to utter a word of consolation. No word could assuage her emotion at that moment.
One look at her store, defined her state; everything in her shop was burnt beyond recognition, then Mary's anguish tugged at my heart. Few months back, she got sacked from her job, she took a bank loan and added up to her five-year savings before she started this business and in less than a month, everything was ruined; she lost it all, except the reality of.... Damn!
The government reported, no life was lost in the midnight inferno but.... Mary's life was destroyed as evidenced by the pale but once, so bubbly figure right before my eyes.

The ultra-modern Tejuosho Market stores are really expensive and there are arsonists in this city, probably; hire by "the unquestionables".

ATTAH JOHN EDEH.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

BLOG ARCHIVE