Friday 11 April 2014

Actor In The Spotlight: Ben Okoma

"Filmmakers prefer the old and so-called "selling faces" they are not ready to groom the upcomers"
In an industry open for all-comers, it gets quite discouraging for a professional in that field to forge ahead in pursuing a career in it especially if the industry is as populated and unstructured like the Nigerian movie industry. Ben Okoma is a talented and trained Actor with a BA in theatre arts from the pretigious University of Ibadan. He talked to me about his advent in Nollywood, the challenges and his hopes as an up-coming actor.

Could you tell me about yourself briefly?
Ben Okoma:My name is Ben Okoma. I'm an Actor, Script and Copywriter. I hail from Otukpo in Benue State, a graduate of theatre arts from the University of Ibadan. I have an unreserved passion for acting. Being a Thespian, I have learnt a lot about the craft from the best brains in the profession and I bring that to bear in any role I play on screen.

How long have you being in the industry and hw is the journey so far?
BEN: I came into the industry in 2013 after my youth service. To be sincere it’s not been easy as I thought when I was coming in, but i still thank God. So far I have done some good jobs not but including "Squatters" Lasgidi Cops" Ay's Crib" Tinsel" Faith" wich was produced by a south African production company. I have other jobs that I can't place the titles now untill they are released into the market.

What would you say are the major challenges confronting upcoming artists like you in Nollywood?
BEN: The challenges are indeed much. One, movie makers in this part of the world do what I call commercial movies; they are always looking for a face that has been in the market for years which they call "selling faces" they are not ready to groom the up-comers. That's the major challenge we are facing as up-comers in Nollywood. But for me I don't see it as any form of challenge as we just need to work hard as up-comers and keep building on our acting skill and we will be one of those "selling faces" the alaba marketers are looking for some day very soon.

You are a Theatre graduate. It is obvious that graduate of Theatre arts don't usually ply their trade in Nollywood. What would you say is responsible for this trend?
BEN: To me I think it’s basically all about the people’s desire and personality. Some people studied the course not because they want to practice it. We all studied it from different reasons. Some are. Not in Nollywood because they think it will take too long to get to the top so they divert to other field that guarantee regular income. I absolutely don't blame them considering how turbulent the industry is.

So what has being your staying power so far as hard as the industry is by your view?
BEN: Zeal and the love for acting. There is no better way to express myself but through acting and I derive a lot of happiness in it. I have that conviction that no matter how long it take which could be sooner, it will pay-off.
Aside acting what else do you do to pay the bills?
BEN: I do business. I connect buyers to people in Europe that sale cars and clothing.

That's commendable. So who are your role models in the industry?
BEN: John Dumelo is one man that inspires me a lot with his natural way of delivery. Yemi Blaq, Gabriel Afolayan, Uncle Olu Jacob are very good too not forgetting Rita Dominic who is one of the best female actors around.

Where do you see Bernard in the next five years?
BEN: In the next five years I see myself rubbing shoulders with those who matters most in the industry as part of the leading men and I bet you, it won't take that long by God's grace. I just need that one right job and am there.

As we end this, what is your massage to upcoming actors like you?
BEN: I just want them to understand that the road might be tough and rough now but they must never give up if acting is really what they want to do for a living and they should also not forget acting should not stop you from having something else that can pay some bills even though you become a jim iyke or Genny. God bless our hustle.

Well said Ben. I'm glad for granting me audience. I wish you the best as you keep the dream alive.
BEN: Thank you. I really do appreciate.

You can contact Ben via:
Email: okomabernard@yahoo.com
Facebook: Ben Okoma
Follow him on twitter: @benokoma.

8 comments:

  1. Nice one Bro, see you at The top!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the most counter productive stupidity they're currently exhibiting
    It's gonna do them in no time cos these will leave the scene, soon or late & they will enter a vacuum period struggling to select from the upcoming artist now facing neglect Just watch. Their mediocrity in professionalism will soon catch up with them. Then they'll pay 4 their errors ... big time! Make we Sidon dey Look na, It's a matter of time. Nice post John.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enogieru Douglas12 April 2014 at 08:09

    I agree with you, But I as a producer I don't pratice that old style in my films.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a good movie can born a star thats what they dont know

    ReplyDelete

  5. no that is not true.if u re good u will get role.let me know yr stuff.

    ReplyDelete

  6. Taiwo which kind role.... are u talkin about waka pass we are talkin about investing on up comes like doing a great movie with less star..... let the movie sell the actors not the actors sellin the movie

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Douglas... Be truthful to yourself the first thing that comes to your mind when making a movie is the profit. I know you not want to have problem with your alaba makerter. @taiwo are you and actor or producer, director. I want to know which of your movie you played an upcoming as a lead. God bless that producer director that made TOPE a nobody to be the best actor in the just concluded AMAAWARDS. I will not stop saying this... Some good actors are bad readers while some bad actors are good readers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog

BLOG ARCHIVE