Tuesday 29 July 2014

Actor In The Spotlight: Jude Orhorha.

"...You have to be in a clique to get the best jobs in Nollywood..."-Jude
In Nollywood, there abound talents and stars clouded in semi-oblivion from the world as a result of certain factors that can be mitigated. Most actors have achieved a lot that they are worthy to be referred as stars and celebrated but certain factors have impeded that. Jude Orhorha is one actor that have "been there and done that" from every parameter he is worthy to be celebrated for his efforts in Nollywood though it is not so as it is supposed. He just celebrated his 7th year marriage anniversary and I caught up with this down-to-earth actor. Enjoy.

Can we meet you?
JUDE ORHORHA: My names are Jude Ufuoma Orhorha. I am an actor, voice-over artist, MC and a Presenter. I have done a lot of jobs in the industry and have traveled abroad to shoot. My first role on TV was in the NTA produced series, "Moving Finger" in 1989 but I became popular as the deaf and mute character called Gbenro in the soap opera titled 'Checkmate' in 1990 ever since that period I never looked back. That was my break. My last major job was "Half of a yellow sun" where I Played the role of Harrison. I shot in Nigeria and in the UK.

So how has the journey being so far?
JUDE ORHORHA: Very rough. First of all, the issue of belonging to a clique is killing the team spirit that is supposed to benefit all of us. You have to be in a clique to get the best job in Nollywood. The media also seems to be favoring some clique only instead of beaming their light on people that have really achieved; this has led to many actors being sidelined despite their achievements.

What have you achieved so far in your several years in nollywood?
JUDE ORHORHA: Anyways my last major job was Half of a Yellow sun. I played the role of Harrison, I shot here and in the UK. I have achieved considerably well. I have stared in "Fuji house of commotion" Flower Girl" MNET New direction movies, "Twins Of the Rain Forest" Barbers Wisdom" Mama Put" "Footprint Of A Saint" a docu-Drama, "Nana Of the Niger Delta. I played the lead in CFC project, communicating for Change project on HIV/AIDS. etc
Meanwhile I've done some jobs that actually took me out of the shores of this country. The first was a stage play titled 'The Bridge' which was performed at the Oval house Theatre in the UK in 2004. I also was in Egypt in 2006 to present the same play "The Bridge" I featured in a TV soap pilot in the UK in 2004 titled "Blackout" etc.
What do you think about the industry since you are an experienced actor?
JUDE IRHORHA: As a whole? I think the industry so far has improved over the years, and its generating a lot of income to the country as well as employing lots of youths. It has also improved in terms of content.

Do you think the older faces should give way for the newer faces?
JUDE ORHARHA: Why not? Just that some of the older faces didn't make money as the younger ones are making right now, which is why some are still hanging around, while some are still in it because of the love and passion they have for the arts.

Would you say you are an accomplished actor?
JUDE ORHORHA: If the likes of Al Pacino, Robert De Nero, Anthony Hopkins can still be on board, who am I?

Who are the Acts you still look forward to working with in the industry?
JUDE ORHORHA: Al Pacino. I've been on set with the best in Nigeria. RMD Olu Jacobs, Joke Silver, Bimbo manuel, Liz Benson, Ramsey Noah, Bimbo Akintola, Kate Henshan, Stella Damasus.

When you are not on set, how do you relax?
JUDE ORHORHA: I play a game of chess and I love watching movies.
I heard most Nollywood actors don't watch home movies? How true is this?
JUDE ORHORHA: I don't agree with that.

What is the title of the last movie you saw?
JUDE ORHORHA: "The place" (Chronicles of the book) a film produced by Desmond Elliot and Uche Jombo, directed by Desmond Elliot, I featured in the movie as well

Who is your best Nigerian Actor, One name only?
JUDE ORHORHA: Edith Jayne Azu Ayalogu. She was very good in interpreting her characters, but sadly enough she stopped acting. But presently i will go for Sam Dede.

I know your wife is an actor too, how do you both manage to cope with work and family especially when you both have to be on set?
JUDE ORHORHA: Its by His Grace and Prayers. We pray for wisdom. No issues yet. Still hoping on God sha! Outside acting. My wife runs a salon, so if she's not on set she's doing the salon thing.
Aside acting, what else do you do?
JUDE ORHORHA: Besides acting i do anchor events like Weddings, product launch, dinners, birthday parties, end of year parties, Events packaging and all sorts. I'm also one of the voices you hear on BBC radio drama titled "Story story" I have been with BBC since 2005

We keep hearing how flirtatious some actors are. How do you cope with your females.
JUDE ORHORHA: I discipline myself.

How do you do that?
JUDE ORHORHA: And I'm also very diplomatic about it. I always know when to cross the line with ladies.

Meaning sometimes you give them "what" they want?
(Laughs) Johnny you are funny. Nah. I don't give them that chance to get it. Besides, i have a home to take care of.

How long have you been married?
Been married for 7yrs and it’s been splendid ever since. My wife is just awesome, she is God sent.

That's great. So how do you spark up the relationship with wifey?
JUDE ORHORHA: No time for that yet o, ha! We are too busy making money and preparing for the future.

Your wife is an actor too; don't you feel threatened that producers and directors could lure her?
JUDE ORHORHA: I know her well. Besides she's more into stage acting than TV but if she's called for any job on screen she goes for it. She's also a long-timer on screen.

Your favorite Nigerian musician?
JUDE ORHORHA: Tuface.
Your favorite meal?
JUDE ORHORHA: My native food starch and banga soup.

Are you planning to go into production some day?
JUDE ORHORHA: I've co-produced some jobs in the past, so why not.

As we conclude this interview, do you have any word for youths that want to follow your footsteps?
JUDE ORHORHA: Patience, endurance, focus, and the fear of God.

A word for you fans?
JUDE ORHORHA: Thanks for being there for me.

Mr Jude, thank you for your time. We at Ed’vizavi Media wish you the best of luck and happy marriage anniversary.
JUDE ORHORHA: Thanks a bunch, Johnny. Please keep this up.. Thanks for having me.

You contact Jude via:
Email:judeorhorha@yahoo.com
Twitter: @jorhorha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

BLOG ARCHIVE