Monday 24 March 2014

HOW TO BREAK INTO THE FILM INDUSTRY: For Actors, Producers, Writers and Directors.

Breaking into the film industry is indeed very difficult as it is crowded with so many "Wanna Bes" who are there for different reasons. Some are there because it is there passion, some because their friends and family are there while some just want to make money because white collar jobs is not forthcoming.
For what ever reason you find yourself in this make-believe world, here are cogent tips.
Dean Silvers is a Hollywood film producer, screenwriter, director, Oscars academy member and above all, my good friend.(hehehe, I'm really moving fast behind the scene)
well, he recently presented these tips for Actors, producers, directors and screenwriters like me who wants to break into the film business. i felt you all can read and learn a lot from it. Enjoy....

Q: How can an aspiring voice actor get into the industry?
DeanSilvers: It's all about marketing you. Put together a demo Reel of your voice, and target it to specific agencies that your voice would be appropriate for.
But another more interesting way would be to do an actual inexpensive animated short film, where you do all the voice over of every character, to show the range of your talents. And then submit that, to the proper entities.

Q: what is the most important thing I can do now to get onto the right track to become a filmmaker?
One day I want to be a director/script writer and that's what I'm striving for.
DeanSilvers: I’m a big advocate of DIY short films as a way to get started in the industry.
I think right now is probably the best time in 20 years to breaking into Film & TV industry. The digital technology has created a remarkable amount of opportunities, because of many factors including low cost equipment, and more people than ever wanting product. So by doing a short film (or many short films), you are really honing your craft, and getting people to start paying attention to you, which is the first step.

Q: What do you feel is the best medium to put my short films on in order to get recognition?
DeanSilvers: The subject matter of your short will determine the best outlets and the most beneficial ones for your short. After that it's all about getting as many people to see it, and more importantly targeting the right people to send it to (festivals, critics, agencies etc.)

Q: I've been considering restarting my career and entering film, particularly on the production side of things (tangentially working in media now, so I have a basic knowledge of the industry). What would you say would be the best way to start? (I know that's kind of a broad question...)
And how did you start producing?
DeanSilvers: Very good question. Virtually all of the prominent directors/producers/writers I’ve worked with, started out making short films. Right now it is a better than ever time to make short films, as a means to break into the industry. Making shorts hones your artistic craft, and with savvy use of electronic social media, can get you noticed.
But at the end of the day, you really have to be passionate about your project. How did I get started producing? I read a script that I thought was wonderful, and mostly everyone else said it wasn’t. Why would anyone want to do a comedy about incest, with a first time writer/director? But I believed in the script “Spanking the Monkey”, and the director David O. Russell. And I worked my heart out to get it made.You have to find the material you love to begin with, and the rest of the steps are more possible now than ever before.

Q: You talk a lot about how writers/directors/producers can break into the industry. What advice can you give for breaking into the more technical side of the industry (cinematographers, editors, sound designers, etc.)?
Full disclosure, I am an aspiring film editor.
DeanSilvers: Exactly the same advice. Find an up and coming film director or producer, or writer you connect to on a creative level (through shorts online, film festivals, film schools etc.), and offer your services as an Editor. Another idea would be to contact an Editor you respect, and offer to be his or her Assistant Editor. When you've done all this work, you can put together your own editing Reel, and with savvy social networking promotion, you can start looking for even bigger projects.

Q: What's the best way for upcoming actresses (and actors) reject and preferably avoid "casting couch" proposals? (Sexual abuse in Nollywood)
DeanSilvers: Many actors and actresses have asked me this question, and I always say the same thing. You in need to put yourself in a position where you are in control. Find a script for a short film that you will play the lead in, then put together your team of directors, producers, writers, and actors that you believe in. By doing this, you will then have a project that you are in control of, that best shows off you talent. People will now want you for your talent, and not any physical attributes. You then market this project to the Film & TV industry, on your terms.

Q: Would you claim moving to either Lagos or putting your foot in some of the world's film festivals is a significant catalyst to getting yourself into the industry?
DeanSilvers: Technology has decentralized our country. Major creative voices no longer come solely from major cities. This concept has already entered the music industry, whether it be Portharcourt, Abuja or Otukpo in Benue state. And this concept is also exploding in the film industry. A look at the recent first time filmmakers like Paul Apel, etc, and you’ll see that location is irrelevant. You get your film and television tutorial through the internet; you make your shorts with the inexpensive and incredible user friendly equipment; and you market and “expose yourself” through the social media. And there you have it, you’ve made your successful entre into the Film and TV business, and you can live in Makurdi or Sagamu for all that matters.

Q: I am wondering what are the first steps one would take to break into the industry? Is it a matter of showing up to locations and asking? This doesn't need to only apply to on camera talent, I am interested in pursuing pretty much any aspect that gets me involved. I live in Otukpo in Benue state leads, would you recommend a move to the major film industry city like Lagos?
DeanSilvers: You can live anywhere. The goal is to make your own product, or to work with people you respect. A good idea would be to contact local filmmakers / film school students in your area, and offer your services in any production capacity. You'd be surprised how open people are to help.
A production experience will teach you enormously about filmmaking and help you make contacts. Maybe eventually, you'll want to make your own product, and you'll find people calling you to help.

Q: If you'll indulge me, are producers born out of necessity to a project or is there a more standardized path to take?
DeanSilvers: Very astute question. I think they're a rarity, but finding a strong producer is invaluable. And by personal experience, I became a Producer out of necessity. I found a script I loved, and stopped at nothing to get it made. In my opinion, there is no standardized path for a strong Producer, you're right, it's all about passionate and necessity.

Q: What would you say is more important in the world of film making, contacts or a degree in the subject?
Does a degree actually help or is it something that just looks good on a wall?
DeanSilvers: Neither. I feel strongly (at the risk of sounding like a cliché), that telling the right story is all that it's about. It begins and end there. I've worked with many first directors who went on to have very prominent careers, and maybe 10% had a degree or contacts. Tell your story. Tell it well. And they'll come to you.

Q: I've always been curious about what NOT to do when trying to break into this industry. In your experience, what are the most common pit falls you've seen impede young filmmakers/actors? Or things that filmmakers maybe put too much emphasis on when they should be focusing their efforts elsewhere? Thanks again and look forward to reading the book!
DeanSilvers: I've seen many talented young filmmakers fall victim to their ego. And that to me has been the worst mistake on a creative and professional level I've seen.
Another issue is that while shooting a film, many people don't realize the most important stage is post-production. You should be planning your shoot with post-production in mind at all times.

Q: I'm an aspiring screenwriter, like half of Lagos. What can I do to stand out? I do not consider myself a film maker and do not think I could pull together a quality short film by my lonesome.
Aside from competitions and hosting on the Black List, how can I get my work read? Cold queries seem to be fading in style and success rates.
DeanSilvers: Even if you're not a filmmaker, find the right Director and Producers for your project. Look through short films online, or at festivals, find a filmmaker who has a similar "voice" as you. Approach him or her about your script. Put together your team. Empowering yourself is a lot easier than waiting to hear from other people.

Q: What is the best way of promoting yourself in the business and how to make a good network?
DeanSilvers: It always comes down to talent over promotion. You can't brand yourself unless you have a great project to brand. In our new digital age there are so many outlets desperate for product, that if create a strong project, the promotion becomes second natural to the inherent value of your project.
(Blogger's opinion: In Nollywood, I advice you approach the media (like this blog) with your details, pictures and cv of what you have done, doing and working towards. Get it published so as to gain wider recognition. We also have other channels of promoting artists so as to get them noticed to casting directors, producers and directors. You can contact us for further discussion)

Q: I'm in my late twenties and have been thinking about going to film school to pursue a late blooming fascination with film. I read in an advice article by Film Crit Hulk (I guess that's his title?) and he basically seemed to suggest that if you weren't at the ideal young college appropriate age, there's not much sense in going to school and that you really should just go out there and hustle. Of course he goes into what school is good for, and it's what I thought I'd go there for - a time to experiment, learn from others, practice, practice, practice, and make contacts - but then get a huge debt. So, do you have any thoughts on a late bloomer wanting to get into film as a writer/director? Should I just practice and study on my own and try to make stuff and shake hands out in the world and not waste time?
Thank you.
DeanSilvers: When David O. Russell and I made our first feature film, he was in his mid thirties and had never gone to film school. However he had made two short films and various other small projects, which is where he learned his craft. The things you suggested you would do at film school "a time to experiment, learn from others, practice, practice, practice, and make contacts", can be done out of school by making your own film shorts. Especially now because equipment is so inexpensive, and there are so many modes of learning about how to make movies in the digital environment. So I agree with you last sentence "practice and study on my own and try to make stuff".

Q: I'm a writer and I've recently published a novella- do you have any advice for seeing my book turned into a film? I don't know much about the process, but I'm very curious.
DeanSilvers: You have to be proactive about turning your novella into a film. Seek out upcoming directors and producers you admire, who you think will like your material. Contact them about your project. If you get no results though, I would suggest putting together a short film preview of your novella. Then use that as a marketing tool to get further interest in your work.

Q: If you were starting out now, how you would YOU try to break into the industry, especially if you didn't have a lot of money at your disposal to make a film?
DeanSilvers: In today's market, due to the technological revolution, I would start making as many great and unique shorts as I could, and find innovate ways to get people to pay attention to them through social media networks. Using that as a base, then your next step would be feature films.

Q: How strong do you think the film industry (Nollywood) is in our country today?
DeanSilvers: I think it is incredibly strong, one of our strongest exports, and due to all of the technological innovations that are coming for our country, I only see this industry getting stronger.

Q: How do you ensure your short film has good enough publicity to reach big producers or directors in the film industry?
DeanSilvers: You have to build slowly. First target people who you think will respond well to your project (e.g., if comedy, approach producers and directors who work in comedy who you like). Also, make sure you focus on managers; they are much more open than you think to discover new talent. Target people who you think would like your project (e.g., if comedy, people who focus on comedy).

Q: I noticed on another question you mentioned education and location not being limiting factors in breaking into the industry. That being the case, how important do you think raw talent is, in the absence of education? Any tips on making contacts in the industry, or is it best to just make something you believe is amazing and show it to as many people as possible?
DeanSilvers: Talent is much more important than education, talent trumps all. You’re right, once you have a product you really believe in, it is important to show it, but do not show it to everybody. Come up with a specific marketing plan (i.e. who you think would be interested in your film), and from there expand outward.

Q: I've wanted to become a filmmaker since I was 6 and am now in a position where I can do so. My idea for breaking into the business was to make 13 short films of all different genres and releasing them a week apart. I just wanted to see what you think of it and if you have any advice for a project that big.
DeanSilvers: That sounds like a very proactive and thoughtful strategy, however my feeling is that it is better to focus on one genre (maybe two) in order to find your voice and strengths as a filmmaker, and then go from there.

Q: Hi Dean. I'm interested in what you think the best way to approach the musical side of film production is? Regarding both composing and soundtrack supervision.
DeanSilvers: The key is reaching out to find new/up and coming filmmakers. You can do this by looking in local film schools, festivals, blogs, forums, etc. Offer to work for these filmmakers for free (in the beginning) and actually score parts of their film as an "audition" to show how eager you are to work with them. Eagerness and passion go a long way in the film & TV industry.

Q: Hello Dean! Is it possible to buy your book online?
DeanSilvers: Yes, "Secrets of Breaking into the Film & TV Business" is available wherever books are sold online. Here is a link for BarnesAndNoble.com http://smarturl.it/secretsoffilmandtv
I Hope you learnt one or two things from my compilation. Just start from anywhere, you will get there. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

BLOG ARCHIVE