Thursday 5 June 2014

Actor In The Spotlight- Paul Utomi.

"Actors are not flirts, they are only pushing the boundaries all in a bid to entertain and inform- Paul.
The first time I met him, I thought he is from east Africa. His looks sure doesn’t look Nigerian (to me sha). A Humble and immensely talented economist turned actor with a boyish smile, Paul is one actor whom by interacting with you will instantly gauge his creative depth-deep.
With a sonorous voice that should be raping the air waves, I wonder what has kept this athletically-built wordsmith off the radio. Well, I caught up with him and he dribbled me. Enjoy.


Can we meet you?
PAUL: My name is Paul Utomi, I'm an actor, voice-over artist and presenter amongst other things. I have a B.Sc in economics from Lagos State University and I'm from Delta state.

How long have you been acting?
PAUL: I have been acting for Just Under three years. 2011 to be precise.

How is the journey been so far?
PAUL: The journey has been full of lessons, some disappointments, some fun moments and whole experiences etc.

You studied economics and now an actor, how and why did you make that switch?
PAUL: Well... I wasn't particularly certain what I wanted to do when I finished school. I told myself I would wait for the 'perfect job' But along the line a childhood friend of mine who probably understood a part of me that I probably wasn't aware of told me there was a job opening at a media outfit, in their production department to be precise and he felt I'd like it... He was right.
And acting started and you forgot the certificate you laboured to get for four years?
PAUL: More than four years if you factor in the ever constant strikes by the academic and non academic unions and even protests from the student body but the knowledge isn't lost, it was a priceless experience and perhaps at some point it may come in very handy.

What have you achieved so far in the less than three years of acting career?
PAUL: I guess, I've learnt a bit and also discovered that there is still a lot I am yet to learn. The industry is constantly evolving so as an actor, my biggest achievement is having been able to learn a bit of the craft since I started.

Mind telling us what job(s) you have done do far?
PAUL: I've been on television shows such as "Tarima" Lekki wives" Living Close To you" Shuga" Case File" I have also done short films like "Enter the Claxton" Silence" B-negative" and feature films like "Believe" Flower girl" Ojuju" Apostate" etc.
What gives you that edge over your contemporaries?
PAUL: I'm not sure I've got an edge over any of my contemporaries; a lot of them are hard working. I just try to improve as an actor and as an individual.

What is your unique selling point as an actor?
PAUL: I'm not sure that I have one.

We all have one, Paul.
PAUL: I guess I've never taken the time to figure out what mine might be. It’s difficult to place what my 'unique selling point' might be, Perhaps my not taking myself to serious and willingness to listening and learn occasioned that.

Who do you look up to in the industry as a role model?
PAUL: A lot of people in the industry have tried to nurture and grow the industry and some are constantly trying to improve it. So it would be difficult to point at one particular individual as a source of inspiration when there are so many inspiring and quite impressive examples to draw from

"Of all those nurturing and growing the industry" who do you look forward to working with?
PAUL: I have had the pleasure of working with some stalwarts of this industry both in front of and behind the Camera and it has always been a good experience.
If you have all the powers, what would you address in Nollywood?
PAUL: Well, the industry is changing but it still has a long way to go. There is lot that needs to change or improve, it could use some re-orientation with regards to the quite abysmal salary structure most actors and crew members are on right now, the poor distribution networks, the seeming inability of many young film makers to get funding... And the way the public in general perceives the industry.

Is it true that some actors are paid as low as # 2000 for a scene in a movie in Nollywood?
PAUL: Unfortunately it is, even much lower sometimes.

What do you think actors can do to change this?
PAUL: I'm not entirely sure they can, at least not individually; it has got to be a collective effort. Perhaps if every actor come together and demand an improvement in the working conditions things could change.

So what are you currently working on?
PAUL: In pre-production phase for a series of shorts titled 'RelationShits' and some other productions I'm not at liberty to discuss yet.

If you were working in Shell would you date a lady working in Shell too?
PAUL: Perhaps, if we both felt a 'connection'

So, you can date an actress if you feel the "connection?
PAUL: I believe I could, It wouldn't matter what we were or did for living. What would matter is that we wanted to be together. Or I hope that's what would really count

It’s a popular notion that actors are flirt. What do you think?
PAUL: I think there are a lot of notions, myths and urban legends that have no basis and are quite removed from reality. Actors are just like everyone else in many other distinguished professions. They care about craft and are constantly pushing the boundaries all in a bid to entertain, inform and inspire.
Paul, Frances and Felix.

Read Felix In The Spotlight Here

Considering your dashing looks, how do you handle your female fans?
PAUL: I wasn't aware I had any female fans.

How do you handle advances from female actors?
PAUL: I've worked with a lot of talented, attractive and conscientious women; I don't believe any of them has ever hit on me.
What qualities attract you in a woman?
PAUL: I've never really given it much thought, I guess I'm eclectic.

OMG! Nothing attracts you in a lady? What of male?
PAUL: I meant a whole lot of things could attract me in a lady. It would be had to settle on one attribute

But that’s that one or two things that your woman must possess?
PAUL: A pulse and a heartbeat.

The heart beat is in the left breast, oh! I get. Badt guy.
General laughter.

How do you unwind if not on set?
PAUL: I read, workout, hang out with friends etc
Your turn off in people?
PAUL: Hmmm... We're all flawed, so I guess I try to be as understanding as possible

You understand with Boko haram too?
General laughter.
PAUL: No one likes terrorism, mindless murder, kidnap and wanton violence and vandalism.

Your final words as we end this interview.
PAUL: Stay positive.

Paul thanks for your time.
PAUL: Anytime bro!

You can contact via:
Email: paul.utomi@yahoo.com
Facebook: Paul Utomi.
Follow on twitter: @paul_utomi


No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog

BLOG ARCHIVE